Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How Basic Is It?

So, this morning I challenged myself to think about how my previous post on reducing consumption, waste and impact goes "beyond the basics" as our tagline suggests. Here's what I came up with...

At its core, the act of reducing consumption and waste is pretty basic. And yet, as scientific research suggests, it takes up to 10000 repetitions to make a behavior 2nd nature to us. Blue box recycling containers were first introduced in the 1980s - I still remember getting ours. (I remember getting - and using - our first CFL coupons in the same general timeframe.) And yet, decades later we are still struggling to provide adequate services and opportunities to enable recycling as an everyday and anytime/everywhere practice.

A recent article in the Washington Post (http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/news/2009/mar/14/trashed-economy-foretold/) cites evidence at local landfills that indicate we are, in fact, significantly reducing waste by limiting new purchases and finding ways to reuse existing products. It also suggests that the primary motivator is the economic downturn. Our job is to ensure that these behavior patterns are not simply a temporary reaction to an outside influence, such as a harsh economy, but rather a natural response that is sustainable far into the future. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I'm asking questions and am inspired by the actions of so many, individuals and businesses alike, who are "going beyond the basics" to make a true and lasting difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment